Toenail fungus, or Onychomycosis, can be an embarrassing and difficult disease to treat; however, prevention can be just as important as treatment. Preventing toenail fungus can be simple with healthy habits and good hygiene.
The following tips can help prevent toenail fungus and re-infection:
- Wash hands and feet regularly
- Keep feet dry and as clean as possible
- Trim toenails regularly
- Do not trim or pick at the skin around the toe nails
- Wear properly fitting shoes
- Wear breathable shoes and with socks that absorb sweat (35% polyester/65% cotton)
- Do not walk barefoot in public or communal showers
- Avoid wearing old shoes and disinfect shoes frequently
- If you have sweaty feet, use antifungal spray or powder in shoes
- Only get pedicures from nail salons that sterilize their instruments
- Treat athlete’s foot when it first starts to occur.
If you are think you have toenail fungus, visit the doctors at Progressive Foot Care for treatment.